5.2.09

Celtics

Believe it or not, I am a big Celtics fan. Ok, go ahead, call me a bandwagon fan all you want but I swear on everything that is holy that during the 2006-2007 regular season, the season prior to KG and Ray "Big Shot" Allen, I had a newspaper cutout of the Celtics schedule. I cut it out because it was a colored, full page ad promoting season tickets. I hung it up right next to my dorm room desk before the season began so I could quickly look over to see when their next game was. KGC was my roommate at the time and will vouch for me, it was there.

When the season started, I would circle every win and cross out every loss. In the middle of that season, I had to put 18 straight X's on that calendar. The only thing the kept from jumping in the Anacostia River was the possibility of a couple of young kids named Kevin Durant and Greg Oden landing in our laps.

The Celtics have been down this road before, they went 15-67, a francise worst record. They were supposed to land the number 1 pick, Tim Duncan. Lottery day comes, #3. Not the end of the world, we draft a kid named Chauncy Billups who we gave up way too quickly and Ron Mercer who never really played like a number 6 pick.

Back to present day, lottery day comes, we have the second best chance of getting the number 1 pick. I'm sitting at home, sitting next to my father, "Hey Dad, if they can get 1 or 2 either one of those kids would mix real well with Al Jefferson and Pierce, we'll be a contender againn!"...5. We got the 5th pick.

Awesome. After that, Draft Day arrive and Danny Ainge, who probably would have been thrown in the Charles River had he sat and done nothing puled off a trade that put the C's on the path to banner #17. Ray Allen comes on board as well as Kevin "Freak/beast/non-human/Basketball God" Garnett. The rest is history.

I can finally forgive Larry Bird for never really playing during my lifetime. I can forgive Antoine Walker for all those unnecessary 3 point attempts. I can forgive Rick Pitino for...well...a lot. I can go on but I won't. The Celtics were a dynasty long before I was born and had a lot of great history but nothing when I was around.

Finally, I can proudly and publicly say "I am a Celtics fan, and I always have been"

No comments: