6.2.09

When you score more goals than the other team...

I'm not going to lie, I'm not that big of a Boston Bruins fan. I'm not a bandwagon fan by any means but I also can't name the starting 5...

I grew up in a time when the B's were good but never good enough. The dynamic duo of Ray Bourque and Cam Neely was exciting and they went all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1988 and 1990. They lost both times to the Edmonton Oilers, winning 1 game between the two series.

During the 90's the B's had a run of making the postseason but always falling short of a finals appearance.

Before 2000 our run came to an end. Bourque was traded, Neely retired, B's couldn't get past the quarterfinals. It was tough. I sort of gave away most of the yellow and black blood that was inside of me, more room for Red, white and blue.

The B's were still exciting and competed at a high level but they would always end their season too soon. Joe Thorton, Sergei Samsonov, Nick Boynton, Glen Murry, Hal Gill, Byron Dafoe, Brian Rolston and Kyle McLaren have all come and gone.

However, this season is different. This season, Tim Thomas has matured to the point where he was the winning goalie of the all-star game. Zdeno Chara could be the MVP. All the pieces are there, the signs point to a run at the cup.

I never said I lost all of the yellow and black blood in me, it's still there and it seems to be spreading throughout me.

No comments: